ISO Members Invite Community to Celebrate Culture Day in Auditorium

Lizzie Graff, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Friday, March 17th, students, family, and faculty gathered to celebrate John Adams High School’s first ever Culture Day. Participants purchased tickets for $3.00 pre-sale and $5.00 at the door. Admission came with full access to several cultural performances as well as four free dishes of choice. 

After purchasing a ticket, the guests went to the auditorium where they enjoyed four acts presented by different cultural groups.

Mr. Marquez, the leading sponsor for International Student Organization (ISO), illustrated the goal of ISO, and expressed the significance of the event, given that it was completely student-run and had such a fantastic turn out, especially considering so many students gathered on a Friday evening after a day off of school. He explained that ISO has aimed to elevate their program this year, including repainting the bridge on Twyckenham. 

The hosts, Georgina Coria and Irlanda Ramos, introduced each set and offered some background information on each cultural demonstration. 

The Adams Step Team was the first group to perform. Step dance was described on the program as “a percussive dance in African-American culture”. They enraptured the audience’s attention with their rhythmic stomps and impressive dancing. 

Next, the fake Quince took place. A Quince is a “celebration for a 15 year old girl’s transition into adulthood.” Jannet, the subject of the Quince, swayed down-stage in a large, sparkly, gold, traditional Quince dress. She was accompanied by Joe, her male counterpart who danced the partner routines with her. Three other pairs joined them on stage where they performed several traditional Quince dances. 

Afterwards, the John Adams African Student Association (ASA) took the stage, putting on an African Fashion Show. The program describes it as “a showcase of attire from different parts of Africa”. Members of the ASA club strutted down the catwalk, showing off a variety of stunning outfits. 

The ASA club then followed with a second part to the fashion show, with a wedding theme. The “wedding” included a groom and bride, the bride’s parents, the groom’s parents, bride gifts, and bridesmaids. Each person had a unique outfit with a unique role in the procession. 

Afterwards, several beautiful Folcórico dances, or “traditional dances from the different regions in Mexico and Latin America” were performed. The women wore elaborate and colorful dresses which they maneuvered to enhance the production and captivate the audience. The men wore large hats, which they threw and tipped along with the dance. 

Finally, Britney Rangel, Alexandra Marin, and Axel Marin were revealed as the night’s special guests. They sang several impressive, melancholic songs, fully in Spanish. The brother and sister duo of Axel and Alexandra also announced that they would be participating in a local talent show!

After the final performance, audience members traveled to the cafeteria where they were met with an elaborate display of food. Different ISO members made their cultural dishes, and then served portions to ticket-holders. 

The menu was split into three different geographical categories: Africa, Latin America, and Asia. The Africa menu offered several choices including ugali, biriyani, jambalaya, Ghanaian Vegetable Fried Rice, hamburger sliders, fried catfish nuggets, samosas, Ethiopian lentils, and macaroni and cheese. The Latin American side gave many options like baleadas, enchiladas, tostones, chocoflan, pollo enchilado, gallo pinto, and arroz rojo. Finally, the Asian menu contained dumplings and bourbon chicken. 

Reflecting on the event, Courtney Ellis and Erika Ruiz, a couple of leading planners of culture night, say, “It was a huge success. Great turnout, a fantastic performance in the auditorium, and a variety of food representing various cultures.”

A few ISO leaders shared their favorite parts from the event.

Ellis and Ruiz joined thoughts to say, “Our favorite part was seeing people try new foods from cultures different from their own. We also loved seeing people from around the world wearing their unique cultural clothing.”

Coria adds, “My favorite part was watching the performance and seeing how the audience reacted to them. It was exciting to see all the different cultures, performances, food, and clothing!”

Ramos found the fashion particularly captivating, “We were able to see the beauty of different cultures through the dances and the variety of attire that every individual culture was wearing. All of the performers wore amazing colorful outfits and it definitely showcased the beauty of their cultures.” 

Marfowa Antwi, founder of ASA, also shared her favorite part: “My favorite part was the fashion show portion presented by ASA! We all came and showcased our different cultures and where we are from.”

Looking forward, Ruiz and Ellis hope to continue to put on the Culture Day event annually to “maintain a tradition of appreciation and collaboration.” 

They also shared their desire for more student involvement.

“As the years go on, we are hoping that ISO gains more members which will give us the chance to showcase even more cultures.”

Luckily, the proceeds from ticket sales and purchases made at Culture Day will contribute to next year’s projects, and more to come. 

Ramos says, “We were able to successfully accomplish our goals and raise enough money for our club so we can continue to create amazing events for the future.”