Suspect Arrested for the University of Idaho Murders

Abena Antwi, Reporter

On December 30, 2022, authorities arrested Bryan Kohberger, 28, for the murders of four students from the University of Idaho: Ethan Chapin, Kaylee Gonvacles, Xana Kernodle, and Madison Mogen. The suspect is currently being charged with four counts of first-degree murder and a count of felony burglary.

Bryan Kohberger is a 28-year-old Ph.D. student at Washington State University, where he studies criminal justice and criminology, along with being a teaching assistant for three criminal justice undergraduate courses. Prior to attending Washington State, Kohberger graduated with a Master of Arts degree in criminal justice from DeSales University last summer.

Kohberger was arrested at his parents’ house in Albrightsville, Pennsylvania. His DNA was found on a knife sheath at the crime scene. On December 27, authorities searched Kohberger’s family trash and were able to link DNA obtained from the trash to DNA left on the knife sheath. In the days prior to the arrest, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) had Kohberger under surveillance, which led to his apprehension.

Police have revealed that Kohberger’s cell phone history shows that he was in the area of the crime scene multiple times in the months before the murder and visited after the murder. Kohberger’s parents, in shock, do not believe that he has any involvement in the murders.

The probable cause affidavit documents reveal that one of the surviving roommates heard and saw an unknown figure inside the house. This roommate also stated that the individual was wearing black clothing with a mask that covered the person’s mouth and nose. The figure then allegedly walked past the roommate while she stood in shock. According to surveillance footage, Kohberger left the scene in his white Hyundai Elantra at about 4:20 a.m. but returned hours later, before police arrived.

Each day, more information is being revealed about this case. As of right now, Bryan Kohberger’s preliminary hearing is set to begin on June 26, 2023. Thankfully, authorities are doing everything in their power to make sure the victims of this monstrous crime get the justice they deserve.