The TikTok Takeover of Social Media

Emily Clark, Reporter

TikTok is a loved app among social media users all around the world.. As of August 2022, there are over 1 billion monthly active users. TikTok’s rapid growth in popularity has made the app an absolute staple for social media. Recently added features, such as direct messages and extending the video limit, give the app more use and purpose. The app’s overwhelming success has caused competitors, such as Instagram or Snapchat, to lose engagement and copy aspects of TikTok’s features to keep up. 

According to Wallaroo Media, Tiktok’s monthly engagement dominates other social media apps. On average, people spend about 26 hours a month using TikTok, while people spend 16 hours on Facebook, 15.5 on Snapchat, and 7.9 on Instagram. This great contrast in app usage has definitely been noted by competitors, and they have tacked on TikTok’s short-video format into their own apps. For example, Instagram “Reels” launched at the beginning of 2020 and Snapchat “Spotlight” launched towards the end of 2020. 

But TikTok also has features of other apps incorporated into theirs. For example, the once 15-second limit on a TikTok video is now extended to 10 minutes, which can be equivalent to the length of a typical YouTube video. In addition, you can interact with followers through direct messaging or hosting live videos, just like Instagram or Facebook. To add even more onto that, you can post content that will only stay up for 24 hours, similar to Snapchat, Facebook, and Instagram. TikTok is becoming a little bit of every social media app, so the usage of other apps will decline if TikTok already has everything one needs. 

*A survey I took of 70 high school students

The TikTok takeover may be frowned upon by competitors, but people love the app and what it offers to users. Who knows what the future of TikTok will be? As more qualities of other popular apps get added to TikTok, it may be the only social media app this generation will need.

Submit your own daily average on TikTok here!