Knight of the Arts

Marcelina Kukawska, Photographer/Reporter

This May, the Junior class members of National Honor Society will be hosting Knight of the Arts, a medieval-themed event taking place in the John Adams High School cafeteria and auditorium. This event has occurred annually during the past few years and it is a great opportunity to support local businesses, come together as a community, and fundraise money for South Bend’s various organizations.

The planning of this event is in the hands of fifty-nine John Adams juniors. Their goal is to organize a memorable night where families and friends can enjoy numerous activities and attractions. These juniors have taken on the role of five main committees: Advertising, Auctioning, Auditorium, Decorations, and the Food and Crafts committee. Each student has a very special role in the planning of this event and is responsible for various aspects of the night. 

Sofia Frazee, a member of NHS, is on the Foods and Crafts committee. As a member of this committee, her duties include making crafts, such as medieval coloring pages and catapults, for the younger attendees. She is also responsible for planning the “food-off”, which will be one of the main attractions of the night. Families who will be attending Knight of the Arts are encouraged to sign up to take part in the food-off and make their own cupcakes, cookies, and/or mac n’ cheese and present it to be voted upon by families. 

The rest of the night’s attractions will include a silent auction, a talent show – which JA students have been auditioning for during the past few weeks, and an art gallery. Frazee says that this event is intended to appeal to families who would like to “appreciate art within the community and share their talents.” 

The silent auction will be one of the most exciting parts of the night. The items that will be up for auction will include gift cards and baskets of goodies from local businesses. The money fundraised during the event will go toward Hope Ministries, an organization located in downtown South Bend. The Basic Needs program at Hope Ministries provides those in need with everyday necessities such as food, toiletries, diapers, clothing, and more. The money collected by the NHS will go towards the Basic Needs program. 

The Knight of the Arts, taking place on May 20th from 6:00pm-9:30pm, will be an evening full of excitement. Everyone is encouraged to attend with their friends and families and enjoy the numerous activities planned by the NHS.