Filed under News

New NHS Class Emerges

Back to Article
Back to Article

New NHS Class Emerges

Junior and Senior NHS Officers

Junior and Senior NHS Officers

Cecilia Stanton-Verduzco

Junior and Senior NHS Officers

Cecilia Stanton-Verduzco

Cecilia Stanton-Verduzco

Junior and Senior NHS Officers

The National Honor Society [NHS] here at John Adams makes a great impact on both students and the community. The program also prepares students for college and future careers. To be able to join NHS, juniors must have at least a minimum of a 3.0 GPA (unweighted), and no grades below a C for the semesters. Students also must have at least 20 previous hours of community service between their freshman and junior years of high school. Students in NHS are required to complete 6 service hours a month, volunteering locally and assisting the community in activities such as helping at the food bank and other opportunities that can be found through the John Adams Volunteer Association.

As seniors here are wrapping up their final days in the Honor Society, they have become well known with the opportunities and advantages the program can bring. Former representative Monica Dang explains that “NHS is fun when volunteering with friends and it’s rewarding to help out the community.” Participating in service projects allows students to use and build teamwork skills, as well as management, leadership, and social capabilities. Monica also explains that after all of the service work she has done, she feels “prepared to take on leadership roles in the future.”

Mrs. Stanton, the Honor Society advisor here at Adams, organizes events and provides help in seeking for volunteering opportunities for NHS members. Along with this, former Treasurer Maddie Lorenz advices joining NHS members to “not wait until the end of month to get hours,” because it is easy to fall behind. Also, it may be easier to find ways to volunteer as ¨there are more options and opportunities available at the beginning of the month.¨      

The National Honor Society induction ceremony for juniors will be held on Wednesday, February 6th. The new officers and representatives are as follows: President- Teo Reimbold-Thomas, Vice President- Peter Nagy, Secretary- Emma Kirner, Treasurer- Manas Khadka, Representatives- Grant Wiarda, Roy Bualuan, Jonathon Zapf, and Ellie Graff. Congratulations to all!

About the Writer
Holly Snyder, Reporter

Holly is a senior at Adams. She is a partial IB student and enjoys most of her classes. Holly's favorite classes are Film and Newspaper because they are...