Adams Alum Named Assistant Captain for US at 2022 World Juniors

Sofia Nevala , Reporter

A number of notable athletes have come through the South Bend area schools over the years. Skylar Diggins-Smith of the Phoenix Mercury, graduated from Washington High School and the University of Notre Dame. Jaden Ivey, recently drafted in the first round by the Detroit Pistons, attended Marian High School along with La Lumiere and Purdue University. Danny Pinter of the Indianapolis Colts, graduated from Adams High School and Ball State University. Blake Wesley, also recently drafted in the first round by the San Antonio Spurs, graduated from Riley High School and attended the University of Notre Dame. Another name that should be known to more local area residents is Landon Slaggert. 

A current junior on the Notre Dame Hockey team and former Adams student, Landon Slaggert was born and raised here in South Bend. Landon’s father, Andy Slaggert, is a longtime assistant coach for the Notre Dame Hockey program. Before attending Notre Dame, Landon Slaggert played for the Irish Youth Hockey League, the Chicago Mission and US National Team Development Program. In 2020, the Chicago Blackhawks drafted Landon 79th overall. In 2021 Landon was a member of the United States IIHF World Junior Championship Team that won the gold medal in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. He was named assistant captain of the 2022 United States team that returned to defend gold. Being named to this team twice and being named captain is a big honor. The tournament which was postponed in December 2021 because of COVID resumed at the beginning of August again in Edmonton. Slaggert finished the tournament playing in all five games with the US, registering two goals and four assists. He was a prominent member of the top line alongside Thomas Bordeleau (Houston, TX) of the University of Michigan and Carter Mazur (Jackson, MI) of the University of Denver. 

The US started their tournament by winning all four of their preliminary games against Austria, Switzerland, Germany, and Sweden, outscoring their opponents 22-4. The US fell to Czechia in the quarterfinals 4-2, failing to make it to the semifinals for the first time since the 2020 tournament held in Czechia. For the 2022 tournament, Landon ranked sixth in assists tied with several players including teammate Logan Cooley (Pittsburgh, PA), recently drafted third overall by the Arizona Coyotes and Connor Bedard (North Vancouver, BC, Canada), considered to be the top 2023 NHL draft prospect. 

After representing the United States, competing in D1 college hockey and as an NHL prospect, Landon Slaggert joins the ranks of other notable local athletes bringing recognition to the city of South Bend.