JA Students Travel to MUNUC 2020

Ellie Graff, Reporter

On February 6th, 2020, dozens of students from John Adams High School headed to the 32nd annual Model United Nations of the University of Chicago conference held in Chicago, Illinois. Earlier in the year, students chose to represent countries from Madagascar to Jamaica in Model UN committees such as UNESCO and ECOFIN. Model UN members then attended several committee sessions over the weekend in order to draft resolutions to certain environmental, social, and economic issues from the point of view of their respective countries. 

Molly Hosinski, a senior at John Adams High School, attended her first MUNUC this year. When asked what she took away from the experience, Hosinski explained, “During Model UN, I learned the importance of listening and being flexible with others.” She then described the dynamic of the conference, “In committee, concepts are constantly changing, so, in order to stay on task and work efficiently, one needs to learn how to work well with others.” 

One aspect of Model UN that students enjoy the most is the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. Hosinski reflected on this sense of camaraderie, explaining, “My favorite part about Model UN was the collaborations and friendships I made with other committee members. It is always very rewarding to watch how much progress your bloc can achieve when working together for a common goal.”