Filed under News

“It’s The Time For Women”

Girl Power rocks The Tower

Back to Article
Back to Article

“It’s The Time For Women”

Sunnyside Up from left to right: Natalie Fish, Jordan Lewis, Claire Hargis, Anna Tarner and Skylar Dungy

According to band “Sunnyside Up,” girl bands are the future, and they certainly proved that at Tower Rock on December 8, 2018 as the winning act.  Tower Rock, the annual music competition sponsored by The Tower, is a well-known musical event for the Adams community that gives many musicians the opportunity to refine, perfect, and finally perform their skills, perhaps taking home the trophy. This year’s Tower Rock champion is newly-formed, all-girl band “Sunnyside Up,” comprised of Seniors Skylar Dungy, Natalie Fish, Claire Hargis, Jordan Lewis, and Junior Anna Tarner.

“Sunnyside Up” began in the spring of 2018, with only two of the five members, Tarner and Hargis, performing at National Honor Society’s Night of the Arts. “It was just missing something,” Tarner said, about her performance with Hargis. We needed a little bit more. You know, we were good together, but we needed more,” Hargis commented. And so, the search for the other three members began. “We wanted a girl band because it’s the time for women. Right now is the time for girls and for women,” Tarner commented.

Tarner and Hargis soon connected with Dungy (guitar), Fish (percussion), and Lewis (bass), and their dream of forming a band grew into reality. They began to rehearse, not long before their first gig at Tower Rock, and their music took off from there, describing their style to have elements of classic rock, throwbacks, and 80s. And Tower Rock certainly is not the end of their journey. When asked if they plan to continue performing together, they all answered with immediate positive enthusiasm.  

They are furthered inspired by the lack of female representation in their musical style. “You don’t see a lot of instruments [in other girl bands],” Lewis commented, adding that many bands include at least one male on either bass or percussion. The girls of “Sunnyside Up” are trying to break this musical standard, as their recent performance proved.

Their next step, according to Lewis, is to start writing their own music. “We’re just constantly changing things up; we’ll take different songs and make them our own, basically[…] we just want to get together a lot and start finding our style, writing our own stuff, and hopefully making some good music out of that. We all definitely want to keep this going and see where it takes us beyond high school.”

With a band of all seniors with the exception of one junior, there are obvious conflicts with future plans, as high school is coming to a close and different opportunities are approaching. “Sunnyside Up,” however, is determined not to let distance not to let distance divide their relationship. Hargis explained how many of them are hoping to attend college close to home for their freshman years in order the stay together and advance their career.

Whatever they decide for their future, “Sunnyside Up” is only beginning a promising journey in their  musical career. From their origin at John Adams High School and their first success at Tower Rock to wherever their music takes them, The Tower wishes them the best of luck in the future.

About the Writer
Claire Stowe, Editor-in-Chief

Claire Stowe, a junior at John Adams High School, is Editor-in-Chief of The Tower. She is thrilled to be the first generation of The Tower’s online presence,...

1 Comment

One Response to ““It’s The Time For Women””

1. Brock Notestine on January 16th, 2019 3:23 pm

I really enjoyed reading the article. I feel that it captures the moment of their victory while also capturing the true motive of the group; to make a name for themselves and earn them a spot in a territory that few other females have ever dabbled in. I really enjoyed reading the quotes of band members because it really gives the reader an insight to what a member feels about the band instead of an inference of the writer. The only flaw I saw in the article was a typo but that was minor so who really cares about it.

• “It’s The Time For Women”

News

Adams’ Musical Talent Shines at Tower Rock

• “It’s The Time For Women”

News

Beth Davidson

• “It’s The Time For Women”

News

NHS Holiday Party

• “It’s The Time For Women”

News

Senior Semester Update

• News

Climate Change with Mr. Kingston

• News

Climate Change with Mr. Kingston

• News

Mind Over Matter

• News

Climate Change with Mr. Kingston

• “It’s The Time For Women”

News

“We’re Trying to Save Public Education”

• “It’s The Time For Women”

News

Adams Receives “A” Rating Once Again

“It’s The Time For Women”