Categories:

One Last Time

One Last Time

One of the best decisions I made during my time at Adams was joining The Tower. At the start of my junior year, with an open hour and intentions to join Yearbook, I was placed into Newspaper and decided to try it out instead. The freedom to write about my interests, as well as the student-led class style make the class special and fun. In addition, joining The Tower allowed me to share my potentially obnoxious sports obsession with others. From local sports to the NHL, I was able to share my opinions as well as grow in my own knowledge of the sports world.

If I could go back and change one thing about my time at The Tower, it would be that I would have joined sooner! The Tower helped me find my voice and find a meaningful place for myself, as a young woman, in sports. I was also able to develop my writing in journalistic form, something different from any other English class I had ever taken. Sharing stories that I found interesting and hearing how others enjoyed reading my work encouraged me to keep writing and gave me a sense of satisfaction in the role that I played when publishing them. 

As I move on to the next phase (altitude) of my life, I am ecstatic to be attending the University of Denver, (Go Pios!) where I plan to study kinesiology before working towards a doctorate in physical therapy. During my time at Denver, I am considering continuing my journalism career with the DU Clarion, Denver’s student run newspaper, hopefully learning how to downhill ski in the Rockies all while becoming immersed in the Denver community. 

I leave with gratitude for both Mr. Nowicki and Mrs. Taylor, who showed me unwavering support during my time at The Tower. The title of Sports Editor of The Tower is and will continue to be one of my most fond and proud memories that I will hold onto as I move forward as an alum of John Adams High School. Fly, Eagles! 

One Last Time,

Sofia Nevala (Former Sports Editor of The Tower)

Donate to The Tower
$510
$650
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of The Tower and John Adams High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.