Suing TikTok

Suing+TikTok

Abigail Worth, Reporter

On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 Indiana General Attorney Todd Rokita sued the Chinese company, TikTok, for violating state privacy laws.  

“The TikTok app is a malicious and menacing threat unleashed on unsuspecting Indiana consumers by a Chinese company that knows full well the harms it inflicts on users,” Rokita said.

Two lawsuits have been filed on TikTok for deceiving users about the ways in which their data is shared with the Chinese government. The first lawsuit states how TikTok lures young children into the app that is filled with sexual content and profanity. The second states that the company has access to highly sensitive data and personal information about Indiana consumers. With their access to sensitive consumer information, they never properly disclosed that they could access them. 

“TikTok is a wolf in sheep’s clothing,” according to court documents

Within court documents, the SouthWest Allen County of Indiana expresses their concern within the schools concerning vandalism allegations stemming from TikTok. The popular #deviouslicks videos on TikTok shows students from around the world stealing school property, vandalizing bathrooms and many more. 

“Obviously, our kids are influenced by social media and TikTok,” Allen County Superintendent Dr.Park Grinder said. 

The algorithm TikTok provides for every user’s For You Page(fyp) promotes alcohol, tobacco, drugs and more with an average age rating of twelve and above. Rokita is seeking an injunction for Tiktokś “unfair and deceptive conduct.” Within the action of Indiana, states like Texas, South Dakota, and South Carolina have drafted legislation to ban the Chinese app, and have prohibited the app on all state government devices. Though a fine has not yet been established, TikTok is also facing challenges with the United Kingdom and could face a $24 million fine for failure to protect children’s privacy. 

Questions linger as to whether or not the actions of the attorney governor will affect the citizens of Indiana. TikTok is a very well known app and as many know, is very addictive. If these actions are put into effect, teens around Indiana will be devastated.