Chess Club

Chess Club

Joie Warnke, Reporter

The strategy game of chess has been around for quite some time, dating all the way back to India in the sixth century. Many know the game to be one that requires a great amount of practice and skill to master. However, whether you have never touched a chess board at all in your life, or happen to have incredible mastery of the game, you are entirely welcome at the John Adams Chess Club!

Chess Club is new to the list of clubs here at Adams, and founders Emiliano Gomez and Jonah Arzadon are ecstatic to be running it. When asked about why they wanted to start up a chess club, Emliano said, “We wanted to create a space for people who share the same liking for chess, along with a space where people can learn the game.” The environment of the club is extremely welcoming, and you are able to play with friends, or even meet new people.

While the club does provide a friendly environment for students to learn and play at their own pace, there are some club members, including Emiliano and Jonah, who wanted the opportunity to play more competitively with one another, and soon there will be! Chess club is currently in the process of forming a group of individuals who will have set practices (either in the mornings or after usual chess club hours) and be able to compete in different tournaments in the area. Recently, a member of the chess club, Adam Hartz, competed in a tournament at St. Joseph Grade School with other well-experienced players in South Bend. He went all the way to finals and placed first in his division! In order to get more updates regarding this information, you are encouraged to join the Chess Club Google Classroom. The class code is veuyugq.

Chess club meets every Friday in Mrs. Stanton’s room from 3:45 to 4:15. It is encouraged that you bring your own chess set if you own one, however there are sets that are available to borrow just for the duration of the club meeting. So stop by on an upcoming Friday and play a game or two of chess!