Bus Problems

Kyle Syson, Student Contributor

As a student at John Adams High school for three and a half years I have taken the bus back and forth to school. Multiple times the bus conditions have been bad, I have had to wait in the cold, rain, and snow for the bus. This has caused me to miss school and fall behind. Students depend on these busses to get them to school and when they miss school because of the bus they are penalized for missing school. It shouldn’t be our fault that the bus didn’t show up to our stop. 

Students should not have to worry about the bus not showing up during the snow and rain. They should be able to depend on their bus to be there on time and not get sick or harmed, students should not be Penalized for their bus drivers’ mistake because this is not something they cannot control. This is an issue that no one addresses and instead they blame the students for not coming to school or making them seem like they are at fault for not being at school on time 

On the other hand people may say that it’s the parent or guardian(s) responsibility to make sure their child is on time to school, most parents work mornings that way they can be home at night to be sure that their child is fed with clean clothes and ready for school the next day hoping their child does not have to wait outside for long. Coming from a child whose mom works morning shift she texts me every morning asking if I am safe and at school on time. Parents worry about their child being outside and no one considers that things happen, kids get hurt, sick and ECT and this can be prevented by the busses being on time. 

I think in 2020 students should have multiple busses they can get on. A second bus should show up to their stop after or if their bus can not get to their stop on time their main bus gets ahold of another bus on route to pick them up on time. This would help students stay warm and not get sick and be to school on time. This would help improve grades if busses wouldn’t take as long to get a student to school and not hold them on the bus they could go to classes they miss and get help on the work they missed or are struggling on. 

Students should not be punished for missing school due to not having a bus to take them. I hope that 2020 is the last year that kids have to worry about not having a bus pick them up and are able to have more than one way of transport to get them to the school on time and let them get their work done and finished.