Teachers Views in the Classroom

Teachers are told not to express their personal views in the classroom. These views include political views, religious views, or just their opinions are different subject matter. The thought behind this is that administrators do not want students to be swayed by teachers personal thoughts. Although the intention behind this policy is good, there can be bad consequences because of it. When teachers are not allowed to show that they are free thinking people, then students will think that it is okay to not have their own personal beliefs. 

If students do not have their own personal beliefs they then become sheep, aimlessly following what  other people say. Students, and people in general, need to have their own beliefs, and disagreements in these beliefs are the key to the path of societal improvement,  not occurring unless there are individual beliefs. Similar to many other things, articulating personal beliefs starts at a young age and has to be taught. When teachers hold back on expressing their personal beliefs, students will not gain the knowledge of how to express their own beliefs when the time comes. 

This is not the only benefit  though. When teachers talk about what they believe in or their opinions on politics, it opens up students minds of other opinions. Sometimes, students come from a household that has a very concrete set of beliefs and they have not been exposed to the other side. Teachers can be that gateway to the other side of the debate. Also, when teachers express their beliefs about subject matter, typically they become more passionate about what they are talking about. It is human nature to listen more closely when it is evident that someone passionate about what they are talking about. 

Although there are many benefits to teachers speaking their opinions in the classroom, teachers still have the responsibility to the students to show them that there are other perspectives. Students need to know that other perspectives exist and how to express their opinion in an appropriate way when talking to someone with a differing of opinion.