Shyamalan Trilogy (Unbreakable, Split & Glass)

Should You See It?

Back to Article
Back to Article

"Glass", the third and final entry in the Shyamalan trilogy.

IMDb

IMDb

IMDb

Before the surging popularity of comic book movies, there was a film that took a brave leap into the genre, that movie being “Unbreakable”. With no direct sequel, “Unbreakable” seemed like a one-off movie. Director M. Night Shyamalan is known for his surprising twists, but audiences were thrilled when it was revealed at the end of 2016’s “Split” that the two films were connected. This “realistic” take on the comic book genre, now 19 years in the making, has met its conclusion in “Glass”.

When it was released on November 14th, 2000, “Unbreakable” was met with less than stellar reviews. This could be attributed to the fact that it was released after Shyamalan’s major success in “The Sixth Sense”, with many reviews comparing the two movies, I personally believe that to be unfair. It’s a wonderfully crafted character piece, which beautifully melds the idea of superpowers to the real world. Bruce Willis gives a subtle, chilling performance, with Samuel L. Jackson as the perfect foil. With an impressive cast, plot, and soundtrack, I give “Unbreakable” a 9/10.

Sixteen  years after “Unbreakable” was released, “Split” came into frame, catching everyone off guard. Besides its infamous twist that made it a sequel to “Unbreakable”, how does 2016’s “Split” hold up? Well, The film is held together by the strong acting skills of James McAvoy as Kevin Wendell Crumb (and his 23 other personalities), as well as Anya Taylor-Joy as the calm and composed Casey Cooke. McAvoy and Taylor-Joy have great chemistry, comparable to that of WIllis and Jackson in “Unbreakable”, making for an entertaining hour and 57 minutes. “Split” is presented as a thriller with horror elements, which it delightfully delivers, but the twist feels a bit tagged on. I give “Split” an 8/10.

“Glass” is the highly anticipated final installment of this Shyamalan trilogy, and it left me… unsatisfied. The film isn’t bad by any means, but the twist did not feel earned, but that doesn’t mean that the film deserves the 36% (as of writing this) that it has on Rotten Tomatoes. The standouts are easily James McAvoy and Samuel L. Jackson, delivering some truly wicked performances, but unfortunately left Bruce Willis behind. The movie is still able to maintain the same energy as its predecessors, combining the two tones of “Split” and “Unbreakable” into an interesting cocktail mixture of a film. It may be a different conclusion than expected to this trilogy for some, but it certainly is an entertaining one. I give “Glass” a 7/10.

Overall, the Shyamalan trilogy is a realistic take on the superhero genre, making for a gripping series of ideas that are executed brilliantly…sometimes. The standouts in each movie are always the central characters, particularly James McAvoy, who delivered a captivating performance that made you care for Kevin. Overall, I give the trilogy an 8/10. If you’re looking for a slower paced, character-driven piece in a movie, then the “Unbreakable” trilogy is for you. Do you agree with my review? Comment below and let me know what you think of M. Night Shyamalan’s “Unbreakable” trilogy.

About the Writer
Samuel Villagra-Stanton, Film Critic

Samuel Villagra-Stanton, to put it simply, is a huge nerd. He loves everything that has to do with film, comic books, video games, science, as well as...